Thursday 24 May 2012

Back to fabric this week

Well as much as i have been enjoying the paper cutting it was time to get back to fabric things. On the list are two welsh dollies and a patchwork wall hanging. I finished the wall hanging lastnight and i am really happy with it. I have never made one before with patchwork so i kind of made it all up as i went along.

I also started with the dollies. One of them has a face and has been sewn up, I shall stuff her this evening after everyone has gone to bed and left me in piece. I think she is quite a pretty little girl with her big brown eyes. Her name is Colette.

No paper cutting for me this week but i have to say although I am itching to have a go I am still enjoying all my fabricy things. Colette will be getting brown hair and a welsh girl outfit over the next few days and a dress to change into when she doesn't want wear her traditional outfit.

I am also eagerly awaiting my first design pack from the sewing boutique who picked me to be on their design team. What to make with the items is taking lots of  my thoughts. I love creating things but always get nervous for the reveal.

I have decided that i would really love to take a GCSE in textiles so will start looking around to see if any of the local schools do an adult course. I just hope i am still able to study after years of no study.

3 comments:

heartstitch said...

Love the Beatrix Potter theme! Your dolls faces are so pretty too!
I would say be careful with learning textiles, I did both GCSE and A Level, and they were mostly dressmaking rather than anything else, so just check the syllabus before you sign yourself up to avoid disappointment! Another option could be doing a foundation degree in it - you clearly have skills, and not all providers require formal qualifications if you have relevant 'life experience'! Good luck with it, and keep us posted :D

Lane aka Willow said...

Thanks for the lovely feedback and the advice. I will look into them all. I guess i want to know more about technique too as i still don't know much about my machine and tell if off on a regular basis for the tension going out lol.

heartstitch said...

I don't think machine fixing is taught at school - I find myself yelling at mine too! The best thing to do is make good friends with someone who knows their way around them :P